In the past few months, I have realized my joy and passion for baking. In reality, "realized" is a poor choice of words. I've always known I love to bake; it's no secret. However, recently I became aware of the power of baking. Not just the power to add 5 pounds to my butt, or to attract any teenager within a two foot radius of cookies, but another power. There was something about baking that was keeping me sane. Well, less insane.
I cannot take full credit for this discovery. One of my wonderful coworkers [and a fan of my Paradise Macaroon] said to me: "So, baking is therapeutic for you". In conversation I simply nodded and went about my business. It was not until later I realized: hey, he's right.
I loved baking, and not only that, I realized I needed baking. In the kitchen, along with my ingredients and tools, I relaxed. I was re-energized through sifting flour and making batter. Creating cute cupcakes calmed my nerves. Cakes and cookies, icing and baking, creating and decorating all, in some crazy way, eased my mind. Every part of the baking process helped me "take it down a notch".
Except cleaning. I hate cleaning after baking. Dishes are bastards. The first person I am going to hire when I get big [enough to hire people] is a dishwasher. Seriously. I'm blessed to have a wonderful husband who was "voluntold" to be my dishwasher.
Since the end of last year, I have baked almost every weekend. Sometimes it's simply taking the Pillsbury cookies from the freezer; other times I'll make over five dozen Lemon Ricottas from scratch. And of course, there were other weekends that were so busy, I was lucky if I sat down for more than ten minutes. The moral of the story: I was a baking machine.
Take a break from baking, you say?! Never! In fact, I did the opposite: I began Sara's Sweets N Treats. I had people who were willing to pay for me for my creations. Heck yes. Since then, I have done at least two orders a month for my wonderful customers [the majority of whom are also the wonderful people I work with]. Several customers and fans have told me I should be doing this as a business. I was enjoying myself immensely!
Then my health took a turn. My kryptonite, migraines, had returned with a vengeance. Instead of celebrating March by enjoying lovely weather, I was 'enjoying' my days in bed, unable to experience any relief. My life at work and home began to suffer, and it soon became clear what I had to do. I had to take a break from some of the things I adored, all in the name of getting better. After all, as my husband always reminds me, how am I to take care of others if I don't take care of myself?
So that is what I am doing. I am taking a break from a lot of things, including Facebook, work, and subsequently, Sara's Sweets N Treats. It is in the best interest of myself, my family, and my customers that I take some time and ensure my health returns to what it was before.
Thank you to all those who have and continue to stick by me, support me, pray for me, and love me. I know I could not have done it without you.
I hope to see you all soon, badder then ever!
No comments:
Post a Comment