John and I [yes, we are at that point in 'business' already where I am putting his name first-must be the domesticated woman in me] have a big order next week, and realized that we should practice before ruining ourselves in pounds of cake. The order, a multi-tiered cake to feed over 70 people, was something we had never tried before. Moving up in the cake world is something we want, and tiered cakes is an easy way to get there. So we ventured to practice baking, layering, stacking, and decorating a three-tiered cake.
We began by baking the cakes. And when I say 'we', I really mean John. Out of the three tiers, he baked two of them, one of which was the largest tier and biggest cake we have ever baked. He also layered the cakes [something new we were practicing--it helps even out the icing:cake ratio] and prepped everything for icing and decoration. After a few days of prepping, a few hours of decorating, and over four batches of homemade buttercream icing, we had a three-tiered cake that looked...pretty darn good :)
The three tiers are 8", 10", and 12". The top two layers are chocolate cake. The bottom, largest tier is yellow cake. Everything is iced in homemade buttercream icing, dyed and decorated for Academy Park High School, home of the Knights.
Let us know what you think, because after all--it's YOUR opinion that matters! It was quite tasty, if I do say so myself, and got rave reviews from the staff at Academy Park. Stay tuned for finished photos of next week's order! We are super excited [and planning/tweaking as we speak] for this order.
Happy March!
Peace and love,
Sara & John [this time my name goes first...I wrote it :) ]
Sara's Sweets N Treats

No comments:
Post a Comment