Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cookies #3 & 4: Best Chocolate Brownie EVER [and with walnuts]

This is the third [and fourth--going for a twofer here] post in a series of blogs that centers around our holiday cookie selection.  We pride ourselves on having not only great tasting cookies, but unique tastes for everyone's palate.  Check out our holiday blog to see a list of the wonderful cookies you can choose from this season.

Up until I was about 20, I made brownies from scratch.  In fact, I had not really ever seen a box mix for brownies, and surely had never used one.  Maybe it's the fact that my mom was a big baker and we always made things from scratch because that's how you do it in lower middle-class Egypt.  It seemed like no big deal.  Until I met friends who told me otherwise.  They showed me the wonder of the 'boxed brownie'; in ten minutes and with ingredients I always had*, I could make a batch of decent brownies.  And so I did for awhile; in all honesty I was not that impressed with the scratch recipe I used in the past [sorry, Hershey].  

*What most people don't know is I also happen to have the ingredients for making brownies from scratch lying around.  That's what happens when you become an obsessive baker. 

Fast-forward 10 years to a time when I found myself baking more because it distracted me from migraines and pain; a time when a local steak shop was selling mediocre brownies; and a time when social media, namely Facebook, ruled my life.  I have to thank a high school friend, Robyn, for posting an article that would be the end to my brownie search and the beginning of something potentially huge and wonderful.     

Man-Catcher Brownies is what they are called; long story short this woman [not a trained/professional baker] now sells her brownies nationally.  They are for strict brownie and chocolate lovers who, as she states, ' like nothing but brownie in their brownie'.  There was also some part about catching men...I don't remember.  I was more concerned about the brownies.

I tweaked the recipe a bit and came up with a brownie that is flying off of the shelves of LaSpada's in Milmont Park.  We even bumped out the competitor and are the sole brownie seller there.   It's thick, rich, and decadent.  It's not cakey.  It had a wonderful crust that only really great bakery brownies have.  And it's a great base for experimentation.         

In order to offer our customers a little variety, we also make this brownie with walnuts.  Not just in the brownie--in and on top!  That way each bite is guaranteed to give you some walnut-goodness.  Our newest edition, not for sale yet, is our Bacon Salted Caramel brownie.  Oh yea, bacon in brownies.  The blend of sweet & savory never tasted so sinful.  More about that in its own blog.  Mmmmmm, baaacconnnnnnnn.

Some of you might be wondering why we [really, I] went with the name 'Best Chocolate Brownie EVER'; isn't that a little...conceited?  Maybe.  But have you tried them??  Here are what some of our customers think:

~ The brownies are "superb"
~" These brownies are AWESOME!!"
~"I know you told me not to eat it all in one sitting, but I couldn't help myself"
~"I just can't stop eating them!"

So maybe we are a little conceited.  And maybe we know a good sweet treat when we meet one :)

Did I mention I [thankfully] stumbled upon this recipe after linking chocolate as a migraine trigger?  I make about 2 to 3 batches a week--and cannot eat a single one.  My thighs are thanking me.  

Don't forget to visit us on Facebook.  Check out our posts, browse the photos, and be our friend!

Because everyone needs a good dessert.

One love,
Sara's Sweets N Treats

No comments:

Post a Comment